Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 5 on Thang Nai Pan


Island life has caught up with me (which I hope explains for the delay in new posts). It is so simple, island life, that it is pathetic.

There's an Australian here, Jason, whose steadfast routine consists of getting up between 11 and 12, eating breakfast, reading the newspaper, going for a swim, lying on the beach, and drinking beer from 3 or 4 in the afternoon until midnight. I have been here five days now, and he has done precisely this every day. He has been here for "only" two weeks now, but he has told me on more than one occasion that he once spent 4 months on Tan Sadet, the beach just south of us, a few years ago.

I was having dinner with Jason, and his friend from Sydney, Scott, on Sunday evening at the restaurant just beside ours. There was a show with traditional Thai dancing and fire throwers. I had a grilled Tuna steak that was to die for. At the table next to us was a girl from Laguna Beach, Sabrina, who has been living in Vienna for the past 13 years and her German boyfriend, Rasmus. They are both professional actors and mainly do musical theatre. Rasmus told me later that he was Jesus in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar, "But I feel I was too young for this role." He is extremely energetic and talkative. He loves it all. He loves "this beach." He loves the island. He loves his girlfriend. He loves the dancing. He loves the fire. But most of all, he loves "this fish." He cannot get over how fresh "this fish" is. At first, I'm unsure if "this fish" is referring to the tuna or the snapper, but "this fish" is actually referring to all of the fish in general.

It must be added that Rasmus' favorite cocktail is root beer and vodka.

It was late in the evening while drinking this root beer and vodka that Rasmus looked at me, quite seriously, and said, "Let me tell you what we are going to do. Tomorrow, we get the boat, we get the rope, we get the things this fish like to eat, and we get this fish."

Like most late-night, heavily-imbibed conversations, I didn't expect any of it to come to fruition. However, this was before I really knew Rasmus.

No comments:

Post a Comment